Purple Plus Quilt











Compared to the other colors in my fabric stash, my stack of purples is quite small.  I've often looked at it though, and thought it would make a fun quilt with all of them together.  Even though they're so varied in hue and saturation, I still thought they would play well together. 

I have also wanted to make another plus quilt like this one that I made a few years ago.  I really enjoyed making that one and liked how it turned out. 

So each of my purple prints are used at least once or twice in this little quilt.  It is a unique color scheme, but hopefully it works for someone out there!

I used a Kaffe Fassett Shot Cotton on the back, and Liberty of London prints for the binding.  Both of these types of fabric are a slightly lighter, silkier feel than typical cotton and make a subtle difference in the drape and lightness of the finished quilt.  (I always am amazed how using a voile or lawn (like Liberty), or a Shot Cotton, on the back of the quilt makes it just a bit softer. 


I thought I'd add a little diagram of how I put this quilt together.  I find it easier to make an improv (ish)  quilt like this when I have sections to work in.  I can trim these sections to fit together so I don't end up with wrinkly wonkiness.  

I started out thinking I would just do horizontal rows, each a slightly different height.  But on my second row I ended up splitting section 3 and 4, which gives it less of a 'rows' look.  You could do this in any places you want to in your quilt.  If you're not used to piecing in this way, you might find it helpful to draw out a rough diagram like this, with approximate dimensions.  (you can always add or trim later!).

Checkerboard Nine Patch Quilt








Just a simple nine patch baby quilt.  Colors were inspired by the backing fabric, which is a Japanese double gauze.  It is all solids except for one white and black polka dot block.

So simple, but quite effective I think!

Fibs and Fables Herringbone Quilt








A very old Work In Progress.  Most happy to have it completed.  I made it in the Quilt As You Go style, which was not prudent.  These long strips of bias fabrics were not enjoyable.  It caused a bit of wobbling and stretching when sewing the final rows together.  Now that it is completed, I am starting to like it again! 

This Fibs n Fables collection by Anna Maria Horner has vibrant fanciful colors and designs.  My herringbone strips are quite improv, which is subtle, but when seen as a whole quilt, gives it a personality I like.  (by this I mean that the pieces are not all at the same angle.  I just layed each next strip down as I pleased and sewed it on. 

The background fabric is a bone colored solid, which gives it a richer feeling than a pure white.  The backing is a large piece of light colored fabric from this same collection, then a pieced strip with all my leftovers set in rainbow order (my secret fave part of the quilt).  And then a bunch of burgundies at the bottom to finish it off.  The back seems lightly quilted compared to the front, because of using this QAYG method. 

Again my quilting lines did not line up perfectly on the back with my piecing.  Is this a careless stage I've been going through:)?  Although today I happened upon some photos of quilts by a quilt 'artist' whose work I admire.  I noticed that her quilting lines were unapologetically crooked, and she was embracing it, and selling her quilts for a healthy price.  Hmmm....  maybe I do need a slight adjusting in my acceptance of my own mistakes. 

I think I am slightly paralyzed by getting a bad review on Etsy, although I never have.  I always imagine someone very persnickety buying one of my quilts and being appalled by some minute issue and leaving me scathing criticism...

HST Baby Quilt






I made this quilt from the latest bundle that I curated for Fabric Spark's Monthly Sparks.  I don't think this bundle is available any more, but wanted to show it to you any way.  I only used about half of each fat quarter, so I could have made a lap sized quilt with this bundle.  I added the white and black dot, and made a bunch of hst blocks.  I love this layout that I decided on!  There are so many possibilites with this block.

Alas, I must confess that this quilt ended up with a few small issues.  For one, the voile print that I used on the back has a plaid design.  And I paired it with straight line quilting.  What was I thinking?  This is one of those mistakes that I should have learned by now!  IF, you are going to use a stripe on the back of your quilt, beware that any straight line quilting will look crooked.  I don't believe you can ever be so accurate as to line it up exactly.  The slightest waver or tilt to your fabric will be glaringly obvious on the back! 

Also, I decided to try applying my binding the famous RedPepperQuilts way.  And it's just not for me.  Yes, I do usually sew my bindings on by machine, but I do it this way.  I've been doing it this way for years, and to try a new method now will cause me untold frustration, so why change I guess!  Either way is equally good I'm sure,  It's just that to sew a neat looking binding takes a lot of practice.  I think my way is easier to learn to do neatly though!  Unless you're not concerned what the back of your quilt looks like.

So these two problems, quilting lines that appear crooked on the back next to the plaid lines on the fabric, and a sewn binding that doesn't look completely straight either...This is a dilemma I face sometimes.  I've sewn this quilt to sell in my Etsy shop, but it's not quite up to my standards aesthetically.  It is perfectly durable, and the front looks great, but I don't feel good selling it!  This time I tried listing it AS IS.  So at a reduced price, and explaining the issues.  We'll see if it sells!